3 Essential Ways to Keep Healthy this Winter
Winter is around the corner, and allergy season is already upon us. We know that you’re putting up all defenses to try and keep the chill out, and essential oils are here to help!
Essential oils are great ways to defend yourself because of their unique, natural properties, that can influence your physical and emotional well-being. Plus they smell amazing.
For you and your winter war, I want to tell you about three oils that can help you this season, and recipes for their use! Hope you enjoy.
Don’t roll your eyes just yet. Of course cinnamon is a holiday-season scent. However, cinnamon is also a great way to warm your body and combat colds. Cinnamon oil has been known to help with emotional balance, immunity, digestive problems, sore muscles and joints, and yes, hammering down that very special Christmas ambiance.
How to use it:
- Recover and be cozy: Dilute 1-2 drops of cinnamon essential oil in a carrier like coconut oil, jojoba oil, or sweet almond oil. Massage sore muscles and joints when the cold weather comes. You will absolutely feel your skin heat up (try using when the office AC overcomes you). I also use this blend around the pocket of sensitive muscle/scar tissue from a surgery I had a few years ago. The cinnamon heat totally soothes my injury site.
- Treat yourself: Combine 1/2cup per gallon of water, 3-6 drops of cinnamon, and 2-4 drops of lavender for a relaxing, warm foot bath.
*Tip: always dilute cinnamon essential oil. It is very potent, spicy, and can easily irritate nasal passages when inhaled and/or cause skin irritation when applied
Ginger is most commonly manifested in Ginger Ale, and as you probably know, it is also most commonly used for upset stomachs and nausea. Ginger essential oil is no different. It is a warm digestion helper and antioxidant, and a facilitator of bodily healing.
How to use it:
- For your belly: mix 2-3 drops of ginger essential oil in some water, hot or cold, (you can also add some honey and lemon) for digestion and nausea problems.
- Orange ginger body scrub: mix 10-15 drops of ginger essential oil, 15-18 drops of wild orange essential oil, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 1/3 cup of jojoba oil (See also: Showcase: Jojoba Oil, A Superfood For Skin)
Lime oil is one of my favorites. Uplifting, sweet, and tangy, this oil supports digestion and immunity in the face of this looming Coldseason. Some say it can also help you process low emotions like grief, and apathy. So if you find yourself needing a splash of invigoration (who doesn’t?!) lime has got your back.
How to use it:
- Mix it up: in an empty dropper or roller bottle, pour 1.5 tsp of jojoba oil. Mix in 15 drops of lime essential oil, 10 drops of sandalwood essential oil, and 8 drops of clary sage essential oil for a grounding, invigorating blend. Massage into sore neck muscles or at any pulse point.
- Boost your mood: in a diffuser, use 2 drops lime, 1 drop wild orange, and 1 drop cedarwood essential oil to flavor your home and uplift your mood. (See also: Here’s Your Guide To Essential Oil Blending)
Enjoy your holidays, everyone!